We are excited to announce that the Mainstream Media, LLC team needs to grow! We are currently hiring a Business Development Specialist. Read the job description below, then email us your resume, and cover letter at email@example.com to apply. You can also apply on Indeed.
Business Development Specialist
The Business Development Specialist identifies prospective customers through active participation in physical and virtual spaces, qualifies them by discovering their needs, desires, and limitations, and introduces them to Mainstream products and services that will help achieve their goals. The Business Development Specialist reports to the Account Manager.
This role is right for an empathetic person who is looking for a role that will grow alongside them, thrives in an environment where success can be measured quantitatively, and has a strong moral compass. It is also right for people organizers and “joiners”.
This role is wrong for a person who operates in a silo: collaboration and communication are essential. It is also wrong for folks who are afraid of failure: we wholeheartedly encourage people to try new things, and discard what doesn’t work. Last, you must be comfortable building relationships with people you don’t know (yet!).
- Learn our business inside and out: our products, services, tools, and values
- Use prospecting tools to generate new opportunities: calling, emailing, networking, social outreach, event attendance, community participation
- Cold call new customer opportunities
- Qualify leads against established criteria for handoff to Account Managers
- Nurture unqualified leads until they become opportunities
- Seek out relevant events and exhibitions where Mainstage could have a presence (ex: Chamber of Commerce events, BizBash seminars). Participate as an exhibitor, sponsor, or attendee pending best perceived ROI
- Utilize our CRM to help drive your day to day activity
- Partner with sales and marketing to develop effective outbound prospecting strategies
- Book product demos and studio tours
- Provide feedback on marketing campaigns to help improve strategies to drive quality warm leads
- Participate in team meetings and training sessions to grow individually and as an organization
- Travel to our studio and customer locations as needed
- 1-3 years of experience in event, media, or agency sales/business development
- Proven experience in event sales, including lead generation and outbound prospecting
- An understanding of B2B sales
- Proactive and assertive with a friendly, approachable demeanor
- A solutions-oriented and consultative approach to problem-solving
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams to define offerings, market capabilities, and forge new manufacturing partnerships through innovative approaches
- Existing relationships in fields such as: Events + Hospitality, Film + Videography, Non-Profits, Arts + Culture, etc.
Compensation is a base rate plus graduated commission:
- Base Rate: $20-30/hr (maximum $1,500 hourly pay / month)
- Graduated Commission Paid Monthly:
- $3,000-$5,000 in monthly revenue – 5% of sales
- $5,001 – $10,000 in monthly revenue – 10% of sales
- $10,001 – $15,000 in monthly revenue – 15% of sales
- $15,001 and above in monthly revenue – 20% of sales
- Due to the nature of this position, preference will be given to someone local to Chicago. Suburbs may be considered.
- There are no set hours for this position, however we expect the person in this role to attend our hour-long weekly staffing meetings on Thursday mornings to apprise the team of the booking calendar.
- As a brand, we care about Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. We are inviting individuals to join our team that share these values. We strongly encourage applications from BIPOC, Asian, LGBTQ+, and other under-represented groups.
- Role begins with one month paid trial period / introduction period
About Mainstream Media, LLC.
Since 2013, Mainstream has helped clients around the country craft real-time digital experiences that engage, enrich, and activate global audiences. Utilizing state-of-the-art and custom-built broadcast technology, Mainstream captures events – from meetings and presentations to music festivals and everything in between – and delivers them so audiences can engage with content as it’s happening, as if they were there.
In short: we create virtual events that smash fundraising goals, excite employees, build movements, and energize fanbases. Our events generate action.
In 2021 we launched Mainstage Chicago, a virtual events venue in the West Loop of Chicago. Pairing the infinite scalability of cloud-based production with the cinematic flexibility of an immersive cyclorama studio, this turnkey production studio is designed from the ground up to create stunning virtual and hybrid events.
Why Work Here?
One event can change the world. Mainstream helps people looking to change the world maximize their impact by creating thought-provoking and engaging digital experiences. We do this through a rigorous commitment to quality and unparalleled customer service. Whether your audience is 2 or 2 million, our team delivers broadcast-quality, pixel-perfect events.
As a company, we create space for our employees to explore their passions, to stand up for what’s meaningful, and to recuperate when needed (spoiler alert: events can be stressful). We encourage constant growth and we support our team to advance personally as well as professionally.
Working for Mainstream you will see the impact of your actions. Join us and become part of a growing team that loves what they do.
- 401(k) Matching for Qualifying Employees
- Medical insurance for Qualifying Employees
- Profit sharing and Quarterly Bonuses for Qualifying Employees
- Paid Parental Leave for Qualifying Employees
- Flexible Scheduling
- Unlimited Vacation
- Dog-friendly office
- WFH budget to upgrade your internet, get better equipment, or design your workstation